ESL Awards "School Facility of the year 2017"
ESL Awards "English School of the year 2016"

F1 Student visas

F1 student visa

Do I need an F1 Visa?
What is an I-20?
When do I need to apply?
F1 Student Visa Application Process
How do I maintain my student status?
What if my student visa application is refused?
How do I transfer to Brooklyn School of Languages?


Members of particular countries are permitted to enter the United States on the Visa Waiver Program. Countries participating in the Visa waiver Program are listed below. If you are a national of one of these countries, and you satisfy the three requirements below, you are permitted to enter the country without a visa:

  • Your core intention is to be a tourist.
  • You will participate in an English program that is less than 18 hours of class per week.
  • Your stay in the US will not exceed 90 days.

Visa Waiver Program – Member Countries :

Andorra Estonia Italy The Netherlands South Korea
Australia Finland Japan New Zealand Spain
Austria France Latvia Norway Sweden
Belgium Germany Liechtenstein Portugal Switzerland
Brunei Greece Lithuania San Marino Taiwan
Chile Hungary Luxembourg Singapore United Kingdom
Czech Republic Iceland Malta Slovakia
Denmark Ireland Monaco Slovenia

If you are NOT a national of one of these nations you do not qualify for a visa waiver. In addition, please be advised that if your core intention is to study full-time in the U.S., you should apply for an F1 student visa.

Specific details regarding the Visa Waiver Program are available on the U.S. Department of State Website or at your closest Consulate or U.S. Embassy.


You can apply for a B1/B2 tourist visa if you fall into one of these categories:
1. You wish to enter the U.S. for tourism but you are from a country that is NOT permitted access to the visa waiver program
2. You wish to enter the U.S. for tourism and you hope to continue in the U.S. for more than 90 days
3. * You wish to enter the U.S. for tourism but you are considering studying in the U.S.

*If you plan on entering the United States as a tourist and have a desire to participate in a short program, your B1/B2 Visa may be annotated for study. This is important if you are considering staying and transitioning into a full-time student at a University or language school.

How to apply for a Visitor Visa B1/B2

A B1/B2 Tourist Visa that is annotated for a short program of study permits applicants to merge tourism in the U.S with a short course of study (less than 18 hours weekly). All our courses are less than 18 hours per week and therefore eligible for such

  • After you apply, Brooklyn School of Languages will send you an acceptance letter detailing the program for which you have been accepted and the total of weekly hours. You will need to include this acceptance letter in your visa application.
  • You may then arrange a visa appointment with the consulate or U.S. Embassy in order to receive a B1/B2 visa with an annotation for a short program of study.

For additional information on “B Visas” get in touch with your local consulate or U.S. embassy.

Please be advised that if your primary intention is to study full-time in the U.S., you should apply for an F1 student visa.

The information posted here is strictly for informational purposes. For more up-to-date information, please review the Department of State and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services web sites.