In the spirit of valentine’s day, I’ve gone ahead and searched the depths of the internet to find a suitable GIF for some of the most commonly used relationship and dating phrasal verbs and idioms. Whether you’re madly in love, playing the field, or just happy being single, it doesn’t hurt having a few more expressions up your sleeve. Let’s check them out:
1.Hit on Someone: To demonstrate romantic/sexual interest
This is one way to hit on someone…
or maybe you’re a fan of the casual wink
If all else fails, do as the Fresh Prince does
2. Tear apart: to make someone feel very sad, upset, or worried
Who can forget this gem of a scene from cult classic favorite,The Room. If you haven’t seen the ‘best worst movie of all time’, do so ASAP.
3. Settle Down: To be in a long-term stable relationship
Me too Demi, me too..
4. Cheat on someone: kiss or have sex with another person (who is not your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend)
5. Ask someone out: Invite someone for a date (a romantic encounter)
Or go the T-Pain route
6. Split up / Break up: Separate, end the relationship
It’s hard out there
7. Fall for someone: To be attracted to someone and start to love that person
8. Love birds: two people who are very much in love with each other.
9.Tie the knot: To get married
Just in case you missed the much-publicized McNugget ceremony.
10. Kiss and make up: To become friendly again after an argument
Happy Valentine’s day!
@Brooklynbowl tonight! (FEB 14)
Check Out our Courses at BSL
By Cory Keny
Follow us on Instagram @brooklynschooloflanguages